To my mind this is the salad to end all salads. It’s secret is it’s simplicity – it’s just crisp lettuce, some croutons, anchovies, Parmesan and dressing. If I have to listen to one more ignorant knuckle head about how it must have bacon, avocado or smoked chicken in it, I am going to go crazy.
- 2 heads Cos lettuce
- 8 Anchovies Shredded
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 cup Croutons
- ½ cup Caesar dressing
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2 tblsp Dijon mustard
- 5 Anchovies Finely chopped
- 1 Clove garlic Finely chopped
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 loaf Ciabatta
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Rosemary
- 2 ½ tblsp Extra virgin olive oil
- When washing the cos lettuce make sure that the leaves are properly dried as if they are wet the dressing becomes watery and doesn’t cling to the leaves. Then simply toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure that all the leaves are coated with the dressing. Pile into a huge bowl and eat!
- Whisk egg yolks, mustard, anchovies & garlic together. Adding the oil in a thin stream, whisk into the yolks to form an emulsion.
- Thin with the lemon juice – should it require further thinning just use water.
- Add Parmesan and season accordingly.
- Cut the ciabatta into thumbnail size cubes. Put the bread in a roasting pan with the olive oil, rosemary and crushed garlic cloves. Season with salt &pepper and cook in a moderate oven (180ºC) for aprox 15 min or until the croutons are all toasted and golden brown.
- My favourite here is a good wooded Chenin Blanc. It is dry and crisp enough to support the Parmesan and lemon and the wood works well with the richness of the anchovies.