Calf’s Liver, Beetroot, Balsamic Vinegar, Bacon and Fresh Horseradish
May the sauce be with you!
- 900 g Calf’s liver Thinly sliced
- 150 g Smoked streaky bacon Diced
- 100 g Beetroot Cooked & quartered
- 25 ml Balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml Veal jus
- 10 g Butter
- 100 g Fine green beans Blanched
- 30 g Fresh horseradish Grated
- 10 g Chives Finely chopped
- 2 kg Veal bones
- 2 Onions
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Celery sticks
- 2 Leeks
- 1 Garlic Bulb
- 20 g Tomato paste
- 2 L Red wine
- 10 g Rosemary
- 3 tblsp Soft brown sugar
- 50 ml Balsamic vinegar
- Season the liver with salt & pepper. Place in a hot griddle pan and cook briefly on both sides, keeping the liver medium rare to medium. Remove the liver from the pan and keep warm. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until it begins to crisp then add the beetroot and deglaze with the balsamic vinegar. Add the veal jus and reduce. Finish the sauce with the butter.
- Warm the beans and place in the centre of a plate. Place the liver on top of the beans. Pour over the sauce and beetroot pieces. Sprinkle the grated horseradish over the dish. Garnish with chopped chives.
- Roast the bones in the oven until dark brown but not burnt. Put into a stockpot.
- Roughly chop all the vegetables and herbs and add ¾ of the vegetables to the bones. Cook until the vegetables begin to colour. Add the tomato paste and fry for a 5 min. Deglaze with some of the red wine. Cover with 5 L of water and 1 L of red wine.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer. Skim all the fat and impurities off the stock. Cook for 4 hours skimming occasionally. Strain the stock and reduce down to 2 L. Continue skimming.
- In a separate saucepan fry some beef off cuts until dark brown and caramelised.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until golden brown. Add the brown sugar and let everything caramelise. Deglaze with the vinegar and then add the rest of the red wine and reduce by half.
- Add the 2L stock and reduce to the desired consistency and taste.
- Strain and adjust seasoning.