This is a great dish for the brunch table, but it can also be used for other eating occasions. It only adds another string to your bow, in your endless quest to have gorgeous vegetarian types eating out of your hand. This recipe works beautifully with chilled sparkling wine or Méthode Cap Classique.
- Oval baking dish
- 6 Tomatoes
- 2 Large Aubergines
- 125 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 250 ml Cream
- 2 tbsp Chiffonade of basil
- Blanche the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove them from the water, remove the skins, and then roughly chop them.
- Sauté the tomatoes in a little olive oil. Remove from heat, add some finely chopped garlic, and season.
- Spoon the tomato into the bottom of an oval baking dish or cereal bowl.
- Slice the aubergine thinly and then fry in the olive oil. The aubergine must be cooked through, but not have too much colour on it.
- Arrange the slices of grilled aubergine on top of the tomato. Add the basil to the cream and pour over the aubergine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cream starts to brown.