Braised Beef Brisket
The first time Bruce and I tried this dish I made it with Wagyu beef and it was so rich it was almost criminal, you could feel your arteries harden just by looking at it. We originally thought that a good Cabernet Sauvignon would be the ideal pairing until we tasted the dish – there was something earthy and soulful that only the Dark Horse could reach
- 1.2 kg Beef brisket
- 1 kg Pickling onions
- 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 500 g Button mushrooms
- 500 g Pancetta or smoked belly Cut into a large dice
- 1 L Red wine
- 10 g Rosemary
- 600 g Potatoes
- 100 g Butter
- 25 ml Cream
- Cut the brisket into 3 even pieces, season the beef with salt & pepper and brown in a hot pan. Make sure you get a nice dark brown colour on them.
- Add the pancetta, the mushrooms onions, garlic & rosemary and cook until the onions begin to colour. Add the wine.
- Put the lid on the pot and place in a medium oven (150ºC) for 2 ½ hours or until the beef is soft. Remove the lid and reduce stew to desired consistency and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper.
- Peel the potatoes in salted water until cooked, drain off the water and the butter & cream.
- Mash by hand until there are no lumps. Season the mash with salt & pepper and serve alongside the braised brisket.